Friday, October 28, 2016

Fabulous Friday with Yummy Leftovers & Cookies

Yesterday was my day off. I usually go to my Pottery Class but my teacher was ill so class was cancelled. The weather was dark and gloomy and wet, which I love, so I stayed in and baked cookies and made soup...

I also tried a new recipe from the Clean Eating magazine : Braised Chickpeas. It was quite yummy, and I brought some for my lunch today. I made some changes, as always. It called for fennel, which I have never used before.  Recipe is below...

Tomorrow we have our community garden clean-up from 9 to 12 noon. The garden needs to be put to bed for the winter. I made the oatmeal cookies for the volunteers, but doubled the recipe for those of us at home.

The best part about a Lois-Day on a cold October day, is the oven heats up half the house and I had the fireplace going from 2pm on, and by the time Husband came home the temperature was up to 21c.

Enjoying life - clean and clear.


Braised Spiced Chickpeas with Swiss Chard & Sweet Potatoes


Serves 6
Hands-on time: 30 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
INGREDIENTS:
  • 3 tbsp 
extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 
yellow onions, 
finely chopped - used 4 small
  • 2 
small fennel bulbs, cored and finely chopped - 1 bulb roughly chopped
  • ¼ tsp 
kosher salt or sea salt 
+ additional to taste
  • 7 large cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp orange zest
  • 1 tsp 
each ground cumin 
and coriander - alas, no coriander, used some dried cilantro
  • ½ tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 lb 
sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes - used one sweet potato
  • 2 15-oz 
BPA-free cans unsalted chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained (TRY: Eden Organic Garbanzo Beans) - used one can, because I bought organic $2 / can!
  • 2 oz 
each dried unsweetened apricots, plums and 
figs (NOTE: Roughly 
chop apricots and 
plums; remove tough stems of figs and chop 
into quarters.) - I couldn't find organic apricots, so used regular, chopped. Also I used organic dried cranberries instead of the other dried fruit.
  • 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth - used fresh homemade
  • 1 tbsp raw honey
  • 1 lb 
rainbow chard (leaves and stems), roughly chopped - fresh from my garden!
  • Ground black pepper, 
to taste
  • Fresh cilantro leaves, 
for garnish - sadly, I was tired at this point and didn't want to wash it.
http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/recipes/braised-spiced-chickpeas-with-swiss-chard/




1 comment:

  1. This looks sooo good. I will try it. I have a recipe on my blog if you would like to see it. www.beadwright.blogspot.com
    Just scroll down one. I found you from Laurie's blog. Have a nice Sunday.

    ReplyDelete