Wednesday, November 16, 2016

In Queue to be Bulldozed...

On Saturday Randy and I walked a lot around the Art Gallery neighbourhood, going for lunch and the art supply shop where I picked up some more sepia markers. He showed me this house he drew recently, a heritage home that will most likely be made into condominiums in spite of  heritage status.



Here is a photo from Saturday that I took with my phone.


The house was built in 1871.  A man named Nicholas Flood Davin was the first to own it.

Found a terrible tidbit about Davin - which almost made me happy to see the house go, although he only lived there until 1882.

 "Davin produced the Report on Industrial Schools for Indians and Half-Breeds, otherwise known as The Davin Report (1879), in which he advised John A. Macdonald’s federal government to institute residential schools for Indigenous youth; a recommendation that decimated Canadian Aboriginal families. 
[from Wikipedia]

Not until 1996, was the last residential school closed.

It isn't the fault of the house. 
For the next 120 years 3 generations of the same family owned it, until it was sold in 2009. It has been a rooming house for decades, and I can only imagine how decimated the interior is.

 

Here is my picture - uncoloured. Tonight I will paint it.

When I look at this house, I can understand why Randy was so drawn to it. 

A proud old Victorian.


1 comment:

  1. Sad, that it is abandoned and will destroyed soon. But it will continue living in your drawning.
    Greetings from Germany

    ReplyDelete