Friday, November 11, 2016

Paint Party Friday - Houses

These are the pictures that I have been working on this week. 
I love old buildings, and some just ooze energy. 

Both are works in progress, the top one needs to be enhanced and both have to be coloured.



House 1: is my Great-grandfather's house here in Hamilton Ontario. In 1901 it was a rooming house.  When my mother was a child in the 20's it was still a rooming house. A distant cousin of mine and his sister live there now, in an apartment. When we first moved to the city it was badly run down. My mother would be happy to see it now, with cracked steps repaired. It looks rather proud.


House 2 : The Jones House is at the end of my street, easily the oldest house in the area circa 1836. Up until spring it was a haunted, sad house, with horrible additions and no trespassing signs all over the place. Garbage piled high in the back. 

Then the for sale sign went up, and soon it sold. The local newspaper assured the community that the new owners were aware of the heritage status, and they have worked hard to bring this lovely Georgian back to life.

Next project :

Dundas Row Houses.
Love those doors.


14 comments:

  1. Nice sketches Lois. I love old buildings and doors too. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love housed in any artwork. These are wonderful sketches...I look forward to the colour on them. Nice little history on the house too!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love houses too, thank you Giggles!

      Delete
  3. love houses .beautiful sketches x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your house sketches. Live them
    happy PPF

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gillena, for your kind comment. :)

      Delete
  5. Wow! Lois these are wonderful. I love how your sketches so such depth. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nicole, I hope your weekend was great too.

      Delete
  6. Fabulous houses. My houses always look like they are melting and leaning over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine arecrooked too when I draw on the sofa... :)

      Delete
  7. Love that you are drawing and painting these historical buildings. My brother in law lives in a historical house in Hamilton as well. His mother did some research and found a REALLY OLD photo of a family standing on a corner that shows the building in the background. She did a painting that just tugs the heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, would love his street address... I would creep him via google map and draw his house.

      Delete