Friday, March 10, 2017

You're sure not working at the library anymore...

The aftermath of the week we celebrated women - and in my own workplace I am still blazing trails.

It is exhausting to always be on guard for the next 'girl' comment or having to correct a neanderthal co-worker who thought that telling a customer that 'the girl' was in tears she was so upset - when in fact - administration was quite in control and extremely professional.

Ugh, ugh, ugh.

I've had a very difficult 6 months here at my [brutally industrial] workplace. I've had acting managers swear at me. I've had a co-worker suddenly spout abuse at me because of something my husband [co-worker John] did or did not say - 2 years ago.

I've had the cleaner ask me how many girls work at head office.

And I think - should I bother? Should I let the small comments go? And I wonder. And I muster up the resolve to carefully place words in the space between me and the men, to help them see in a different light.

And they sometimes get it - but mostly - they look at me and I can see in their eyes : Oh here she goes - and I hear the excuses - well you know I didn't mean it, I was being yelled at by the customer - I was trying to help you out.

And they probably call me a bitch in the back.

And I breathe through it and keep on putting my library face on - all that training - never let them take away your professionalism. Never let them take that away.

And they are not all like that.



Anyway.
I will survive, I will carry on, I will not be shelved.
I will post this picture of my filled in drawing, that I did with my new watercolours.
I will have a lovely weekend.
And I hope you all out there keep fighting the fight.






13 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm sure you've been called worse things behind your back than "bitch" -- we ALL have! There, did that cheer you up, lol? Phuckem all, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your art is beautiful and you are beautiful. Some people are so blinded by hate and anger that they forget there is beauty in life and living.
    Keep painting these lovely pieces of art and don't let them drown you in their sorrows. Unfortunately there are those that enjoy ruining someone's day...try not to let it be yours~

    Hugs and Happy PPF!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan! I appreciate your words.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry your coworkers are behaving in such a way. I love your illustration, it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa, some days things bug you more, but just need to put it all in perspective. :)

      Delete
  4. How do these toxic workplaces survive? I often wonder how the new folks are doing in my former toxic messy hole. I'll never for the life of me figure out how the place stays in business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heavy industry attracts the rough types, most are great. Always one at a workplace who has massive issues!

      Delete
  5. Wow I feel for you!! Been down that road, happily I settled it by treating them as I was treated and they backed off!! There were some shocking moments for them...but it worked. All I had in the seventies to survive that!! Once the line was drawn I was treated with respect and didn't have to go down to their level! Gorgeous art! Hope you find some resolve too!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, drawing that line in bold this week! :) thank you for your comments.

      Delete
  6. Wow! Stand tall and be the beautiful person that you are. Create and live your life in joy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a tough environment. Hang in there. Love your art.

    ReplyDelete